Patrick Peterson, recruiter and talent scout

Feb 26, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL teams can at least partially thank Arizona Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson for delivering one of the top prospects at the position to the 2012 draft.

Morris Claiborne credits Peterson, his former LSU teammate, for converting him from the enemy ranks: offense.

"Growing up, I was mainly an offensive guy," Claiborne said from the scouting combine Sunday. "I didn't play too much defense, just here and there, but I never really played corner til i got to college."

Claiborne initially resisted Peterson's recruitment. But Peterson, who developed the moniker "DBU" to describe LSU, won him over.

"Patrick kept on pulling me," said Claiborne, projected as a first-round pick. "I tried for a day or two and I ended up liking it."

Peterson advised Claiborne to "go up and take over" at the combine. Claiborne has not yet worked out. He'll skip the bench press until his pro day to protect a wrist injury he played with during the season.

Claiborne and Peterson, the fifth overall choice in the 2011 draft, differ in their styles.

"I'm more of a technician, trying to funnel the guys instead of getting really physical with them at the line all the time," Claiborne said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment