Jets coach Sal Alosi on tripping: 'My actions were inexcusable and irresponsible'

Dec 13, 2010

New York Jets strength coach Sal Alosi reiterated his apology on Monday for tripping Miami Dolphins player Nolan Carroll during a 10-6 Jets loss a day before.

A remorseful Alosi said he had no explanation for his behavior and said he is prepared to accept whatever discipline comes down from the team and the NFL.

"I let everyone down yesterday by my actions," Alosi said. "My actions were inexcusable and irresponsible."

When Carroll was running along the Jets sideline during a play, Alosi gently extended his left knee and tripped Carroll, who went tumbling onto the turf.

Asked what prompted the decision, Alosi said he "wasn't thinking. Several Jets staffers were clustered with him along the sideline, but Alosi said there were no instructions for them to stand there.

"Had I been thinking, I would have taken a step back instead of going forward," he said.

The NFL and the Jets launched a review into Alosi's actions. He said he had not discussed the issue with league officials and had not heard about potential discipline yet.

Dolphins players reacted harshly to the tripping, and Miami coach Tony Sparano expressed displeasure after the game also. Alosi called Sparano and Carroll to apologize, and offered apologies to Jets owner Woody Johnson and head coach Rex Ryan also.

Alosi said he didn't offer to resign from the Jets.

"It's been terrible ... horrible," Alosi said of the experience. "What I put my family through, what I put my organization through, I wouldn't wish on anybody."

Source

0 comments:

Post a Comment